Skip to main content

dynaudio special 40

... a medium size two-way built to celebrate Dynaudio’s 40th anniversary last year. It’s the connoisseur’s choice – a simple pair of passive hi-fi speakers. Forget about “watts’ but go for current. This deliberate voicing choice gives the speaker a chameleon-like ability to mate with many upstream components. I’ll have plenty of time, I bought the review pair. These speakers do so much so well at their price point I am hard-pressed to offer major criticisms. Accompanying the advanced drivers resides a freshly-designed crossover too. However, the small Dynaudios do pack a surprising punch. These are NOT hard to drive but do not try with a cheap receiver or home theater receiver. As I listen to song after song that memory from 2003 was creeping back in but I was saying “THIS IS EVEN BETTER”, and it was. If our designers loved working on the Contour 20 and 30, the Contour 60 was an even bigger ticket for them. "Tonally, the Special Forty is smooth and easy, but as I continued to listen it was the speakers' clarity and resolution that made the … The new Special 40’s follow in their tradition of releasing “special” speakers when they hit certain anniversaries. Dynaudio Special 40 Bookshelf Speakers Cutting-edge acoustic technology in a classic Dynaudio design. Rendering of Zach de la Rocha’s voice demands attention commensurate with its edged emotion. I cue up Patricia Barbers Cafe Blue, “Ode To Billy Joe” and before I press play I say to myself “C’mon Special 40’s show me just how special you are”. Sound is dynamic and energetic. These need current more so than watts. The Dynaudio Special Forty speakers are an absolute bargain for their beguiling looks, great sound, and the pedigree of the company’s 40-year history building stellar speakers. As a bookshelf speaker, the Dynaudios require stands putting the tweeters at ear-level. In fact the 20 WPC Raven Nighthawk delivered a sweet romantic sound, the Octave V40 SE delivered dynamics and a huge wall of sound with more transparency and the Luxman was just magic with these speakers, in my room. Welcome thoughts on those or any others that I need to know about? Beyond their attractive facades, a lot of new technology lies within these two-way speakers. At the bottom sit two brand-new 23cm MSP woofers (bigger, redesigned brothers of the 18cm drivers we’ve used in the Contour 20 and 30). The drivers of the Special 40 do exhibit better control in certain respects; the Buchardts tend to slightly soften detail. That’s what I got when I switched in an Octave V40 SE tube amp that delivers only 40 watts per channel. Huh? Combine that with a level of delicacy, tonal accuracy and resolution that you’d expect to pay $10k/pair for and you can see why I’m so excited. I was so curious about them and seeing that I have my room and equipment so dialed in these days I knew these Dynaudios would, or should shine. But back to high cost speakers vs lower cost…. The most powerful, the sprout, did the worst of all. It’s a three-way design. To fix this just move them into the room more or use the foam plugs if need be. They always sound thin, small, anemic and sometimes harsh in comparison. Unlike any other speaker drivers outside the Dynaudio factory, an in-house developed Magnesium Silicate Polymer material offers the tenuous balance of rigidity and dampening which result in a more organic sound. They are by no means overly-romantic in their musical portrayal, just a tad polite. The Special Forty was created to celebrate Dynaudio’s 40th anniversary, in 2017, and is surprisingly affordable at $2999 USD per pair (about which more below). I wanted to relive that memory from 2003 and thought maybe, just maybe these could do it for me. Those who say you need massive watts for these to come alive are wrong. They seem to have a sweeter treble too though not as big sounding as the old EVO’s. The team in Dynaudio Labs used the anniversary edition project as an opportunity to study and improve some of Dynaudio’s most celebrated technologies – making new steps in tweeter, woofer and crossover design in the process. one thing I have learned is that SYNERGY is VERY important. 3 DIMENSIONAL? If the cabinets were larger they would be even bigger sounding but if that was the case, then would also be much more money and I feel take away from some of the magic these hold. A newly-developed silk dome tweeter dubbed the “Esotar Forty” offers low resonance and increased airflow. Some sound dull, boring and flat. They go from being fat and full with a recessed high end, to outright dull to thin and etched. Find a Special … I believe it was called “The sound of Music” if my memory serves me correctly. For their 40th anniversary, Dynaudio endeavored to make something very special. SME Model 10 with SME V and Model 10 tonearms. And happy to award them one of our Exceptional Value Awards for 2018. I recently acquired a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 Speakers in the stunning red gloss finish. That said the special 40 is kind of a weird animal, it uses prototype Esotar3 drivers, even more advanced than what's available with the Confidence C1 or Contour C20, but has a noisy, poorly braced enclosure, whereas I would expect the Focus 160 to have better build quality. Our room where we listen in indeed the #1 factor in how our system sounds, or I should say the room is the #1 component in your system! Bass is there when in the recording but never artificial. I was told by the dynaudio rep that there would be a break in period so I knew what I was getting in to. Overall, the Special Forties offer a refined and natural sound on the polite edge of neutral. Yes, speakers like Dynaudio’s flagships take the sound experience to another level by offering an increased prowess reproducing musical nuance, refinement, detail, depth of soundstage, and deep bass recreation. So these are near or at full range sound in some rooms. Back when I had those C1’s here I did not have the best amp or cables for them, which is why they did not win me over like they did in 2003. YES. Dynaudo special 40 Red birch Prefer local pickup but can ship Buyer pays shipping cost Cash, bank check or PayPal shipping to United States only To my ears, various Dynaudio speakers always do a great job with voice reproduction, putting it up front and center. It was many many years ago (maybe 2003) in Phoenix AZ at a HiFi shop that no longer exists. Superb imaging and soundstage width with decent depth. Both have their strengths and both offer a unique sound experience. One reviewer found them to sound slightly "glassy" at times, but with my NAD M32 and the right cabling, I don't have that problem. The dealer sold 4 pairs from that night. I recommend these, as for me they sound better than the 3X as pricey Dynaudio Stand 10’s (which I tested these with). Not sure what they are typically going for new, there was a sale at Amazon for $2399 a couple weeks ago with free shipping, so maybe it's not a great deal for a used set, but does include shipping and paypal. For the money these were looking mighty fine to me, but how do they sound and would my Class A Luxman power them ok? I do not write reviews for all gear I use, test or own. Also note I use quality cables from power (Audioquest Tornado and Hurricane) to interconnect (Valhalla) to Speaker. The new Special Forty anniversary speaker draws on 40 years of cutting-edge research – and brings it totally up to date with Dynaudio’s most celebrated techniques and technologies. Do these speakers beat my Klipsch Cornwall III speakers that retail for over $5500 new? I also updated the review in some areas with more thoughts after buying a second pair. What lies underneath is breathtaking. Dynaudio just unveiled its brand-new 40th anniversary loudspeaker – the Special Forty – at the 2017 High End Show in Munich. But it’s also a quality bass as Dynaudio is using their most advanced drivers here in the S40. “Oh would you like to listen to the 40s?” Would I? No listening time on these. Some start out with a WOW but long term seem too shrill. This coating is applied in exactly the correct places and … Nothing sticks out, but they do play beautiful music and if I were to nitpick after they were broken in I would say at times their bass is too plentiful. Here I am so many years after hearing my 1st Dynaudio speaker and while I have not loved all of their speakers over the years these special 40’s are quite different from the usual Dynaudio’s. Dynaudio Special 40 for sale. Woofer-wise, trickle-down technology from Dynaudio’s higher-end Evidence and Confidence speakers help lower the Forty’s distortion and increase power handling through their proprietary hybrid magnet system.

Similarities Between Horseshoe Crabs And Spiders, Franklin Shok-sorb Batting Gloves, Quietcool Wireless Rf Control Kit Installation, Black Panther, Klaw, First Aid Beauty Barriair Reddit, North By Northwest Manhwa Raw,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *